The error “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” usually occurs after an update to the application or when a new version is released to the App store (or Playstore). In some releases, Reddit engineers responded that they are aware of the problem and cannot comment when the problem will be fixed.
Do note that the issue mostly occurs when your application is outdated. This error message is not related to the ‘We had some trouble loading the data please try again’ issue because both occur due to different reasons
- What is this issue and What does it mean?
- Common Scenarios where this Error Message Occurs
- How to Fix “We had some trouble getting to Reddit”?
- 1. Updating the Application from App Store
- 2. Picking a Random Country and Changing it Back to Global
- 3. Resetting the App & Logging in again
- 4. Signing Out of the Application and Browsing Anonymously
- 5. Disabling Two Factor Authentication
- 6. Switching from Card View to Classic View
- 7. Reinstalling the App
- If Nothing Works
What is this issue and What does it mean?
This error is only limited to Reddit’s smartphone application (iOS and Android alike). It has different behaviors ranging from not being able to load the popular tab to not being able to sign into the application at all.
It simply implies that the application was unable to reach Reddit’s servers and fetch the resources it needs for its operation.
Common Scenarios where this Error Message Occurs
Mostly, there is one root cause of the ‘We had some trouble getting to Reddit’ issue in your smartphone. But let’s hover over a few common reasons and their explanations:
|Outdated Reddit Application||One of the primary causes of this issue is an outdated Reddit application.|
|Enabled 2FA Authentication||2FA (Two Factor Authentication) adds the security factor to the ‘Reddit’ account. But suppose a user is already using his Reddit account in a browser. So, in such a case, when he tries to log in to the same account in the mobile application of ‘Reddit,’ he will face this issue.|
|Server Issue||The ‘Reddit’ application can sometimes not load the subreddits or the ‘Popular’ tab. In that case, users have reported the same error message, which might be because of some server issue.|
|Faulty Application||Sometimes, the junk files of the ‘Reddit’ application could also result in the under-discussed error message.|
Even if you cannot find your scenario in the above table, you can still follow the below solutions to troubleshoot this issue.
How to Fix “We had some trouble getting to Reddit”?
Here are a few workarounds that should help you fix the issue. Follow from the first workaround and move down.
1. Updating the Application from App Store
As mentioned earlier, one of the most common causes of this issue is an outdated Reddit application. So, when you encounter this issue, updating the Reddit app from the official app store of your smartphone should be your priority.
This workaround also works if you encounter the error only in a specific tab on Reddit i.e. in the Popular or New tab.
Steps for Android Smartphones
- Open the ‘Play Store’ application on your smartphone by tapping on its icon.
- Then, tap on the user-profile icon to open a subsection of options. So, choose the ‘Manage apps and device’ option.
- Google Play Store will open a new screen. So, tap on the ‘Updates available’ section.
- In the next window, the Play Store will show all the applications that need updating. So, scroll down to find the ‘Reddit’ application.
- Once you have found the ‘Reddit’ application, tap on the ‘Update’ button in front of it to download its update.
Steps for iOS Devices
- Tap on the ‘App Store’ icon on your iOS device.
- Then, tap on the user-profile icon. In the next window, tap on the ‘Purchased’ option.
- Then, scroll down to find the ‘Reddit’ application and tap on the download icon against it to download the available update.
Here, in this case, an update is available for Apollo but Reddit is already updated to the latest build.
2. Picking a Random Country and Changing it Back to Global
Following the scenario from the previous solution, suppose there is no update available for the Reddit application. In that case, you can attempt to change the region/location of your Reddit account and check whether the issue gets resolved. This refreshes the internal data stored about the other country and fetches the information again.
- Tap on the ‘Reddit’ application on your smartphone.
- Then, tap on the user-profile icon in the top-left corner of the screen. Doing this will display a side fragment. So, tap on the ‘Settings’ option.
- Choose the ‘Account settings for’ option inside the ‘Settings’ option.
- Then, tap on the ‘Country’ settings option.
- Choose your preferred country other than the one already selected. After changing the country, restart the application and see if the issue is resolved.
- After that, revert the changes you’ve made to your Reddit account’s country or region settings.
3. Resetting the App & Logging in again
Sometimes, the official Reddit application restricts the users from logging into their account and instead displays the ‘We had some trouble getting to Reddit’ message. This is mainly because of corrupt modules or bad data present inside the application. In this case, simply clearing the data will solve the problem.
If you have an iPhone, uninstall the application and download it again. Below are the steps to clear data on an Android device.
- Open the ‘Settings’ application on your smartphone.
- Then, type the ‘Manage Apps’ query in the search box and open the ‘Manage apps’ option in the ‘Settings’ window.
- Now, your device will show all the installed applications. So, scroll down to find the Reddit application and tap on it.
- In the next window, tap on the ‘Clear data’ option.
- After clearing the application data (or resetting the application), you will have to log in again. So, enter your credentials and check if the problem persists.
Note: If you still can’t log in, we recommend using your username instead of email to log in to the Reddit application
4. Signing Out of the Application and Browsing Anonymously
Sometimes, the Reddit application shows the under-discussed error message while trying to refresh a subreddit. This is mostly because of inconsistent application files. Here, we recommend logging out of the Reddit application and signing in after some time. This will fetch new data and hopefully solve your problem.
- Open the Reddit application on your smartphone.
- Then, tap on the user-profile icon in the top-left corner of the screen, which will open a side fragment.
- Tap on your username from the side-fragment, which will provide you with further options from the bottom.
- So, tap on the logout icon in front of your username.
- Next, tap on the ‘Logout’ option to sign out from the Reddit application.
- After some time, open the Reddit application again and enter your credentials to log into your account.
Suppose the problem persists after following the above steps. In that case, we recommend using the option of ‘Anonymous Browsing’ in the fourth step.
5. Disabling Two Factor Authentication
Suppose a user tries to log in to a Reddit account on multiple devices with Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) enabled. In that case, he will face this error issue An easy fix to this problem is disabling the two-factor authentication through the desktop version. Once done, you can enable it again later on.
- Navigate to the browser version of Reddit.
- Then, access the ‘User Settings’ of your account.
- Switch to the ‘Safety & Privacy’ tab and scroll down to find the ‘Use two-factor authentication option.
- Then, turn off the toggle against the ‘Use two-factor authentication option.
6. Switching from Card View to Classic View
Sometimes, the official application of Reddit doesn’t load anything for an account in the mobile application. However, the same account works perfectly on the browser version. Some users have reported that other accounts on Reddit work perfectly, as this issue occurs with one specific account. So, if your situation is similar, you might be facing a server issue. Thus, we recommend changing the layout of Reddit from card to classic.
This will force the application to fetch updated data from the services.
- Follow the first two steps of the second solution to reach the ‘Settings’ screen of the ‘Reddit’ application.
- Scroll down the ‘Settings’ window until you find the ‘Default view’ option.
- Tap on it and change it from ‘Card’ to ‘Classic’.
7. Reinstalling the App
If all the above steps failed to work in your scenario, you can move forward and reinstall the application. This will force you to relog into the system but will clear all temporary data stored in your device.
Procedure for Uninstalling
- Long-tap on the Reddit application and choose the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Then, tap on the ‘Uninstall’ button to uninstall the Reddit application.
Procedure for Installing
- Now, open the ‘Google Play Store’ (or App Store) on your smartphone and search for the Reddit application.
- Then, tap on the Reddit application and tap on the ‘Install’ button in the new window.
If Nothing Works
Suppose none of the above solutions have worked for you. In such a case, you can either submit a report to the official team of Reddit or try using an alternative to the Reddit application. Some worth-mentioning alternatives to the official smartphone application of Reddit are:
- Boost For Reddit.
- Deck for Reddit.
- Old Reddit.
- Reddit Favorites.